The late 1920s to early 1930s saw little interest in stereoscopic pictures.
Teleview was the first alternating-frame 3D system seen by the public. In 1922, Frederic Eugene Ives and Jacob Leventhal began releasing their first stereoscopic shorts made over a three-year period.
Using left-eye and right-eye prints and two interlocked projectors, left and right frames were alternately projected, each pair being shown three times to suppress flicker. The show ran for several weeks, apparently doing good business as a novelty (M. The first film, entitled Plastigrams, was distributed nationally by Educational Pictures in the red-and-blue anaglyph format.
After a preview for exhibitors and press in New York City, the film dropped out of sight, apparently not booked by exhibitors, and is now considered lost.
Early in December 1922, William Van Doren Kelley, inventor of the Prizma color system, cashed in on the growing interest in 3D films started by Fairall's demonstration and shot footage with a camera system of his own design.
Unlike its predecessors, this short was shot with a studio-built camera rig.
Prints were by Technicolor in red-and-blue anaglyph.
The following March he exhibited a remake of his 1895 short film L'Arrivée du Train, this time in anaglyphic 3D, at a meeting of the French Academy of Science.
In 1936, Leventhal and John Norling were hired based on their test footage to film MGM's Audioscopiks series.
Kelley then struck a deal with Samuel "Roxy" Rothafel to premiere the first in his series of "Plasticon" shorts entitled Movies of the Future at the Rivoli Theater in New York City .